Contact: Katie Johnson
[Fergus Falls, MN] Lake Region Healthcare (LRH) and Prairie Ridge Healthcare (PRH) announced flu shot and COVID vaccine boosters are available for the public this week. With both COVID-19 and flu expected to be going around again this year, they are encouraging everyone to fight both of these viruses with everything we've got to protect yourself and your community.
“The convergence of COVID-19 and influenza season will again make it more difficult to discern which virus is causing symptoms,” said Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Naomi Schmid. “The possibility of getting both viruses at the same time could be an extra inconvenience to some, or even deadly to others. Plus keeping our kids healthy and in school is so important,” she added. Appointments for the flu shots and COVID boosters are available by calling the clinic appointment ines.
The CDC recommends annual flu vaccines for everyone 6 months and older, especially those at higher risk of complications including pregnant women, older adults and young children. Public flu vaccine clinic schedules are below and online at www.lrhc.org/flushots and www.prairiehealth.org/flushots. Schmid added that for those eligible for the COVID-19 booster, it is safe and advisable to administer both the flu shot and the COVID booster at the same time.
Last week, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration amended the emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to allow for use of a single booster dose, to be administered at least six months after completion of the primary series in:
- individuals 65 years of age and older;
- individuals 18 through 64 years of age at high risk of severe COVID-19; and
- individuals 18 through 64 years of age whose frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARS-CoV-2 puts them at high risk of serious complications of COVID-19 including severe COVID-19.
This authorization applies only to the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine.
Schmid also said the testing demand for COVID-19 has increased significantly since school started and reminded the public of these testing options:
- LRH drive-thru or with a provider visit. Call the appointment line for appointments with providers or the drive-thru, or visit our Walk-In-Clinic. Please note these tests are sent out to the Mayo clinic and are not rapid tests. The drive-thru is currently only accepting symptomatic patients for testing. We recommend that asymptomatic patients in need of a test utilize one of the options below.
- MDH has a testing site in Moorhead Monday-Thursday from 11am-6pm at the former Thomas Edison Elementary School. You can sign up online for an appt time at https://mncovidtestingappt.as.me/schedule.php
- MDH also offers a test at home option through Vault. To order an at-home test at no cost visit https://learn.vaulthealth.com/state-of-minnesota/
- Some local pharmacies offer free testing. Antigen tests can be purchased over the counter at local pharmacies.
Further information about COVID testing options, vaccine opportunities and eduction, along with prevention tips is available at www.lrhc.org/covid19.
Flu Shot Clinic Schedule:
Fergus Falls Main Clinic - Call 218.739.2221 for appointments
- Wednesdays, October 6th and 13th 8:30am to 4:00pm
Battle Lake Clinic - Call 218.864.5283 for appointments
- Wednesday, October 20th 8:30am to 3:30pm
Ashby Clinic - Call 218.747.2293 for appointments
- Friday, October 22nd 8:30am to 12:30pm
Barnesville Clinic - Call 218.354.2111 for appointments
- Thursday, October 7th and Thursday, October 14th 8:30am to 3:30pm
Elbow Lake Clinic - Call 218.685.7300 for appointments
- Monday, October 4th and Friday, October 15th 8:30am to 4:30pm
Hoffman Clinic - Call 320.986.2038 for appointments
- Thursday, October 7th 8:30 to 11:30am
Herman Clinic - Call 320.677.2221 for appointments
- Thursday, October 7th 1:30 - 4:00pm
Evansville Clinic - Call 218.948.2040 for appointments
- Wednesday, October 13th from 8:00 to 11:00am
Morris Clinic - Call 320.589.4008 for appointments
- Wednesday, October 6th 8:00am to 12 Noon
- Wednesday, October 20th 8:00am to 4:00pm
About the Lake Region Healthcare Enterprise
The Lake Region Healthcare enterprise is comprised of Lake Region Healthcare, an independent community-governed non-profit headquartered in Fergus Falls, the Mill Street Residence Assisted Living Facility in Fergus Falls, and the non-profit critical access hospital, Prairie Ridge Hospital and Health Services headquartered in Elbow Lake. With over 120 medical staff and over 1,100 employees, we are dedicated to serving the healthcare needs of our communities with values of Excellence, Person-Centered, Collaboration, Stewardship, Integrity, Respect and Innovation. Together we bring specialty and sub-specialty services to patients at hospital locations in Fergus Falls and Elbow Lake and at clinics in Ashby, Barnesville, Battle Lake, Evansville, Herman, Hoffman, and Morris, MN. For more information visit: www.lrhc.org, www.prairiehealth.org or www.millstreet.lrhc.org.