Many changes accompany a sudden debilitating illness or injury beyond the physical challenges. A social worker will assist patients and their families with details of the stay, provide ongoing contact and support, and assist with coordinating discharge. A social worker works together with other team members in reaching your goals and ensuring a smooth transition from the hospital to your community.
Social workers also provide assistance with:
- Financial concerns.
- Education about community resources.
- Scheduling home evaluation, family training, community re-integration and therapeutic pass, per team recommendation.
- Coordinating all recommended services (e.g., home healthcare/outpatient) and ensuring that equipment is secured prior to discharge.
- Patient advocacy.
- Providing counseling and support.
- Conducting follow-up calls.